Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Genealogy: A haystack full of needles. It's the threads I need!"

The hobby of genealogy has some interesting quips and quotes.  I saw this one recently, and thought it would be a good introduction to show you another hobby that I dearly enjoy - cross stitching!  But not just any little design, I specifically have a passion for historical reproduction samplers.  If you have ever been to Colonial Williamsburg, you have seen examples of the types of designs that interest me most.
Genealogy: A haystack full of needles. It's the threads I need!
 "With My Needle Sampler"










Dont let this one fool you, DUTCH BEAUTY is a full 36 inches wide and 28 inches high.  This is a rendring of the completed piece, and below it you will find a photo of my progress.

I have the first part of the first row completed.  At this rate I will completely finish all my genealogical research on all my family lines, related family lines, and allied family lines; before I complete this sampler....but I love it, it calls to me, much the way my family history calls to me.  Some day I will finsh, the sampler and the genealogies, but in the meantime I reflect on today's quote, "Genealogy: A haystack full of needles. It's the threads I need!"  and you would mind making those hand-dyed silk threads please?




This weekend I am joining my friends from Indiana Hoosier Stitchers for  a stitching retreat at Camp Rivervale in Mitchell, Indiana.  Leaving all the genealogy at home, (well, most of  it) while I put a few more stitches in DUTCH BEAUTY, eat chocolate, and catch up on some sleep (okay, maybe not).

3 comments:

  1. These are *beautiful* pieces of needlework! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see your progress (little by little, just like genealogy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful works of art! I love needle craft but I do not have the patience (or is it time?) to see it through to completeness.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chosen you for the "One Lovely Blog Award!" You can pick up your award by visiting my blog "The Sum of All My Research" at http://debsresearch.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-lil-o-me.html for your badge and acceptance rules and Keep up the great Blogging!

    ReplyDelete