Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day Four - FGS Conference

I can't believe it's over!  Today is the last day for the conference, but still so much to learn.  

Started the day with Harold Henderson "Improving your Speaking Ideas".  I realize that good speaking requires submitting to personal criticism, and boy does that hurt sometimes.  But, I was encouraged (a little) by Harold's observation that "Criticism, phrased well, shouldn't hurt."  Which also makes me consider how a deliver criticism to others.  

Another gem I gleaned from Harold, is that "Ideas are a renewable resource."  One idea can have many applications: a tweet, blog post, popular article, instructional article, technical article, local talk, regional talk, webinar, online video, etc.  

I came away from today with "Get Inspired, Get Criticized. Get Improved."  Thanks Harold, for the inspiration.

Ended the day with Lisa Alzo, " Cloud Based Tools Every Genealogist Can Use".  Enough new apps to keep me busy for at least the next month.  

Some of the apps I think I will try in the next few weeks include:

Living Organized
Workflowy
Writing Your Family History App (IPad)
Google Voice

That's all for the 2013 FGS Conference,  making plans next for 2014 NGS in Virginia, then I am leaning heavily toward the combined 2015 FGS/RootsTech Conference in Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment